“Good luck interpreting that!” chuckled the doctor after a particularly quirky comment. Or maybe you just thought it to yourself.
Either way, it’s not uncommon to find yourself challenged to interpret informal or uncommon words and phrases.
In order for the interpreter to render a successful interpretation, it is essential that the interpreter first identify the full meaning of the speaker’s message. This can be a challenging task, especially given the unique – and at times strange – expressions that people use to communicate their thoughts.
In this interactive session healthcare interpreters discuss examples from their own experiences to go beyond the sentence and understand the full meaning of the spoken message. You’ll be more comfortable interpreting in these sticky situations when you learn to divorce the word, and marry the meaning.
- Analyze the Meaning of a Speaker’s Message
- Practice and Strengthen Discourse Analysis Skills
- Explain Strategies for Effective Communication Flow
- Analyze the Meaning of Common Colloquial Phrases
- 2-hour class
- CE approved
- ATA: 2 points
- CCHI: 2 performance hours
- IMIA: 0.2 CEUs
- WA DSHS: 2 hours
- Live, instructor-led online classroom
- Instructor: Erin Rosales